Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chunky Visor Hat

I have been seeing this style of hat often lately. I really don't care for headwear, but it's January and pretty cool and i need something to cover my noggin. I am too tight to pay for the pattern I liked very much and I couldn't find a pattern that did not start out with a long chain. So, in one night I came up with super quick and simple pattern  for my version of a chunky yarn military visor hat. I don't like it as well as the first one i seen but it works just fine for me.





Chunky Visor Hat

fits a 22" head
At least 81 yrds of super bulky yarn. I used Lion Brand Hometown USA and I did NOT have an inch to spare, cutting it very close!
M13/9mm hook
Not in round bc the ch 3, but do not turn





In a magic ring,  chain 3,  9dcs, sl st to join to top of ch3,  ch3 (9 dcs)
Row 1: dc in joining st, 2 dcs in each st around, sl st to join, ch 3  (18dcs)
Row 2: dc , 2dcs ss, repeat around, sl st to join, ch 3 (27 dcs)
Row 3:  dc, dc, 2 dcs ss, repeat around, sl st to join, ch3 (36 dcs)
Row 4-8: dc in each dc, sl st to join, ch3 (36 dcs) fasten off.
Visor
Using front post, find the middle 13 st
Row 1: attach  yarn, ch 2, hdc, dc 5x,  2dc ss,  dc 4x,  hdc 2 x, ch2 turn
Row 2: hdc, dc 4x, 2dc ss, dc 5x, hdc 2x, fasten off.
Strap Detail
21 dc foundation chain, sew onto hat above visor, sew a button on each end, or use a flower

you may share my patterns, sell your finished projects, but please give me credit and dont sell my patterns as your own

4 comments:

  1. what does the 'ss' in '2dcs ss' stand for?
    2 double crochet stitches with a single stitch?

    Thanks for the pattern!
    AncientOils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it means 2 dc in the same stitch.
      http://libertycrochet.blogspot.com/search/label/abbreviations
      here is the post with most of the common abbr. I use. I try to be consistent, but I dont have a lot of experience yet.

      Delete
  2. Great pattern, i shall be making these hats for Headway a brain injury charity to sell at a 24hr knitathon i am taking part in.

    Thank you for sharing
    Creative Caz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your knitathon!!

      Delete