Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tow Mater Hat

I had a request for a Mater hat right before Christmas. I have to say I am not a Cars fan as my children are a little older now. After investigating who this character is through several photos, costumes and toys online, this is what I came up with. I am sharing the pattern of the facial details with you since I have received so many requests, but the hat pattern I used is not mine. I use  Yarn and Musings' pattern for the body of most of my hats.  It's done in rounds and sometimes I change it for stripes, but for Mater you don't need to alter the pattern. Follow this link to the hat pattern.

For Mater's windshield:
make a single crochet foundation chain of  18. 
ch 3, dc in same stitch and across in each sc.
crochet 18 dc across for 4  rows. 
row 5:   ch 1, slip stitch  twice,  sc  twice,  hdc twice,   dc four times,  treble in one  stitch and fasten off.

For the eyeballs: 
using black,  5 sc in a magic ring,  changing to green in the last stitch. 
2 sc in each stitch,  fasten off and sew both eyeballs to the white windshield.

Mater's teeth: a single crochet foundation chain of three, extending 3 rows.   I do think he would look better with one tooth longer than the other. You can do this by making one tooth one row longer.  I hope to make another hat in the future and add headlights and a carb.

You may enjoy my patterns for free, even sell your finished projects, but please DO NOT claim them as your own, sell them as your own, or use my photos as your own.


  1. Thank you for this pattern! I'm going to make some for my nephews. You did an awesome job. Tow mater looks sooo cute. :)

  2. How did you attach the windshield etc?

    1. As with most flowers and appliques, I just simply sew them on. A lot of the time, I leave the tails long enough to use so my "sewing string" will match perfectly.

  3. Replies
    1. Sorry not sure, but I can guess it was called Persimmon.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.